Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Brining a Turkey is fun to do....

So this year we are having Thanksgiving at my house for Dominick's family. Dominick bought a 21-1/2 pound turkey to feed maybe 10 adults and possibly 6 little kids. Dominick and I have been watching food network because they have been talking about different ways to cook a turkey.

Well, we decided we (and by we I mean I) were going to Brine the Turkey for a day then put a rub on the turkey for a day before we cooked it.

Today I decided it was time to brine the turkey. I prepared the water, salt, honey and a few spices in a large pot. I got the turkey all ready and placed it in the brining bag. I cooled the liquid with ice before pouring it over the turkey. This is where the fun began. I began pouring the liquid into the bag and the pot slipped. I poured a large amount of the is honey water all over the counter and floor. I got the rest of the liquid in the bag which thankfully was just enough to cover the turkey.

The next fun part was lifting this 21-1/2 pound turkey with the bag full of liquid in a stoneware roasting pan into the refrigerator. We have a side by side pretty nice and big but not all that wide. So I have this very heavy roasting pan in my arms trying to wiggle it just right to get it into the refrigerator. This whole time I am praying that this brining bag doesn't burst all over me and the refrigerator.

This Turkey better be the best Turkey I have ever tasted or I am going to be very upset!!

I still have to get it back out of the fridge and empty the bag hopefully without making a huge mess again.

2 comments:

Terase said...

baybegthey say of you do not brine your turkey you may as well eat cardboard. I did the turkey last year in brine. I will do the Christmas bird with some orange, honey and spices this time. You should not get a norbest or one that is already pumped full of salt water and whatever they use to brine.
Love, Mom

Mom of 2 in the Couve said...

We bought a foster farms turkey one from costco. I used water, sea salt, honey, and spices for the brine.